When the James River is running between 3.5′ and 5.5′ (on Westham Guage) this is a great route that will take you about 2-3 hours to float. Tubing is not for folks who want to show up and have us take care of all the details…If that’s what you’re looking for, a guided trip is a better option for you. However, if you’re up for more of an on-your-own adventure where you take care of yourself out there, tubing could be your ticket!
**Important** Park your car at “Pony Pasture Parking Area”– (searchable on Google Maps) — and our shuttle will meet you there with your tube.
There is only one Class II whitewater section at the end…the rest is flatwater with varying current speeds at different water levels. About half way through the route is the William’s Island Dam (Z-Dam), a low bulkhead dam that you will need to portage around. There is a marked trail on Williams Island that we will point out to you during the shuttle ride where you exit the river and use a trail to easily walk around the dam. Trying to run the dam is a terrible idea and has led to people not making it off the river. It’s easy enough to get around, so do yourself a favor and don’t ruin your day… Portage and have a blast!
As the name suggests, for this service we are selling you a tube and providing a shuttle from the take-out to the put-in.
Again, park your car at the “Pony Pasture Parking Area” and our shuttle will meet you there with your tube. We strongly suggest arriving at least 30 mins early as parking is very limited and it might take awhile to find a space in the lot or on the road.
We’ll give you a ride up to the Huguenot Flatwater parking area, where we’ll review your route and furnish you with a waterproof river map. Then it’s off you go on your tubing adventure! You’ll take-off the river at your car and the tube is yours to keep…pretty sweet deal!
Please keep in mind that life jackets are required when the river level is above 5′, and we don’t provide them…so you will need to supply your own life jackets in that case. RO does not offer this route when the river level is above 5.5′.
The tubes are standard 16″-17″ truck innertubes… not giant deluxe tubes but thick-gauge rubber that can take scraping on the rocks. Want to purchase another tube for your cooler? At checkout, increase your headcount by the number of cooler tubes you want…After completing your reservation, call us at 804-560-0068 and we’ll give you a partial refund on that cooler tube to make the price $25. You can wedge a small cooler that is about 20″-24″ in length into the donut hole of the tube. Bring your own rope to tether tubes if you want.
* For Summer 2020, customers must bring a face mask to ride in the shuttle bus. Masks won’t be worn on the water
* Park policy is that alcohol is prohibited on the river. All drinks should be in cans or plastic containers…No glass please!
* People’s biggest regret is getting dehydrated and sunburned. So, do yourself a favor and pack ample water and sunscreen
* Likewise, leave all towels, change of clothes, etc. in your car and have a plan for car keys and phones- we have NO storage for them….nothin’ worse than getting to the takeout with a phone and keys at the bottom of the river. A tube deflation tool is included so that at the end of the trip you can easily get the tubes in your car
* We must have at least two customers to run a given shuttle- we’ll combine groups to make that happen. If you don’t see dates/times available, please feel free to call the shop at 804-560-0068 during business hours
* For groups, we can arrange to buyback your tubes for $10/tube. Call us after you book your reservation to make that arrangement
$41 (includes tube. Also includes one deflation tool per group)per tube
Huguenot Flatwater to Pony Pasture
Approx. 2-3 hrs.
Class I (one set of Class II) rapids