Oak, our super popular riverside camp, is for 9-12 year olds and is based on arborist-style tree climbing and high-ropes activities as well as river exploration and natural fun. Kids are always harnessed in and belayed by an instructor while climbing. Your camper(s) will experience vertical climbs into the canopy of a tree, a limbwalk more than 15 feet in the air, giant swings, stand up paddleboarding and a whitewater rafting trip!
All of our climbing elements are challenge by choice – we encourage kids to set goals for themselves and meet them, but we never force a child to complete a climbing element. Oak kids will also spend time adventuring and swimming in the James river (life jackets are worn in the water), and exploring the parks in Richmond. Add in some creative outdoor games, knot tying, tree identification, and friendship, and you’ve got an awesome week of summer fun! Our goal is for your kids to come away with practical adventuring skills and a deeper appreciation for the outdoors. These activities can be relatively strenuous and require a moderate level of physical fitness.
Although we love to see graduating Saplings in Oak, previous experience is not required.
Due to this camp’s popularity, we have created another Oak section to accommodate that demand! We now offer both White Oak and Red Oak! These programs are identical aside from pick up and drop off times and a different set of counselors. They will both be held by the river and other areas of the park systems.
White Oak will be from 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. Red Oak will be from 9:15 A.M. to 4:15 P.M. Both Oak camps are held in the James River Park System and run Monday through Friday.
Pick up drop off Location:
6836 Old Westham Rd., Richmond, VA 23225
White Oak 9 A.M. to 4 P.M; Red Oak 9:15 A.M. to 4:15 P.M.
2019 Sessions - Monday through Friday. Cost: $425 per week.
*Waitlist options available as of 5/27
White Oak Week 1: June 17-21 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 2: June 24-28 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 3: July 1-5 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 4: July 8-12 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 5: July 15-19 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 6: July 22-26 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 7: July 29-Aug 2 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 8: Aug 5-9 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 9: Aug 12-16 *Waitlist
White Oak Week 10: Aug 26-30 *Waitlist
*Options available as of 8/2
Red Oak Week 1: June 17-21 *Waitlist
Red Oak Week 2: June 24-28 *Waitlist
Red Oak Week 3: July 1-5 *Waitlist
Red Oak Week 4: July 8-12 **Waitlist
Red Oak Week 5: July 15-19 *Waitlist
Red Oak Week 6: July 22-26 *Waitlist
Red Oak Week 7: July 29-Aug 2 *Waitlist
Red Oak Week 8: Aug 5-9 *Waitlist
Red Oak Week 9: Aug 12-16*Waitlist
- My child is on the waitlist. How likely are they to get into that camp session?
- I would not count on it. While it does happen from time to time, it is generally unlikely. Please refer to our cancellation and waitlist policy at the bottom of the page.
- Will my child be in the same group as his or her friends?
- If they are signed up for the same camp (Sapling, White Oak, Red Oak, etc) and the same week they will be in the same group. For further clarification about White and Red Oak see below.
- What is the difference between Red and White Oak camps?
- Red and White Oak are separate groups of kids with a different set of counselors, but both groups will have the same programming in regards to adventure activities. There is a 15 min difference in drop off and pick up time to reduce crowding in the tree house. They are equally awesome!
- Do you perform background checks on your staff?
- Yes. We perform annual checks on all of our camp staff through a third party which covers local, state, federal and sex offender registries.
- My child is turning _______ years old on ________. Can you make an age exception?
- We almost never make exceptions in regards to our age groups. We have built into our camp structure a one year overlap in camps (i.e. a 12 year old could attend Oak, River Shredders or Old Growth).
- I am trying to enroll my child in a camp but I’m not seeing the enrollment options for their age group.
- It’s most likely that the camper’s age was incorrectly listed upon enrollment. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you run into this problem.
- Do you offer extended day programming?
- Unfortunately, we do not. If you have multiple children in different camps on the same day that have different pick up and drop off times we will allow you to drop the children off at the earlier camp time and pick them up at the later camp time. **Please note- we can not accommodate early drop offs or late pick ups other than in the circumstance listed above.**
- I’ve forgotten my password and when I try to reset it through the website I am not receiving any emails.
- Most likely, the email you used to initially register your account is no longer current. Your email address is like a user name in our system so if that changes we need to be notified to change that on our end. If you can think of what email you initially received our confirmations from, that is the account to sign in on and book for the summer.
- Will pictures or videos be available for parents/guardians at the end of the session?
- Yes! We send out an email with the link to our photos the Saturday after camp ends. If you have opted out of marketing emails then you will have to contact us for the link.
**Cancellation/Refund Policy: All payments are non-refundable. Exceptions made at the discretion of our staff. If we are able to fill your camper’s spot through the waitlist, we will refund you all but a $30 per instance processing fee. See our waitlist policy below.**
** Wait List Policy: If we are filling spaces in a camp more than 1 month out from the start of that camp week, we will call one family at a time from the wait list and give them 48 hrs to accept the spot. After 48 hrs we will call the next family on the list. If we are calling within a month of a camp session, we will call everyone on the wait list concurrently and follow a first come first served policy.**