Our signature whitewater rafting trip down the Falls of the James through Richmond’s urban forest. It combines the Upper section (smaller rapids) and Lower section (bigger rapids) of the river for the full experience. Tackle the only Class IV white water rapids in the country running through the heart of an urban landscape. See why Outside Magazine named Richmond the Best River Town in the U.S. in 2012.
We’ll put-in around the Pony Pasture section of the James River Park and get the chance to see bald eagles, great blue herons, turtles, gar, and other wildlife as we enjoy a gourmet boxed lunch from Caffespresso on one of the many river islands. Then, as we turn the corner at Belle Isle, we’ll emerge from what seems like a secluded forest into the skyline of downtown Richmond. Get ready to shoot the big water and surf the gnarly waves! We’ll end the trip at the 14th St. Takeout by historic Shockoe Slip…then it’s back to the Riverside Outfitters shop for a beverage and some front porch sittin’…a great way to end a great trip!
* Each member of your party must be at least 10 years old, at least 4'6" tall, and at least 90 lbs. In the event we question whether a customer meets these requirements, we may need to ensure their ability to sit properly in a raft and fit into our PFD (life jacket). If they do not, they may not be able to take this trip
* If you don't see dates/times available, please feel free to call the shop at 804-560-0068 during business hours
* In the event we cannot secure a guide for your trip (higher potential for bookings made within 48 hours of the trip), we will contact you asap to give you the option of rescheduling or receiving a refund *
Pony Pasture to 14th Street
3 1/2 hour duration (starts at 9 a.m.)
- “I can’t tell you how great my experience was…the day and the weather were just perfect. I had a chance to swim during the first part of the trip. Because of inexperienced people like me and my friends, a couple of us lost balance and fell in the water during one of the class 4 rapids…and our guides Mike and Ryan were calm and composed and helped us get back on the boat!”
- “Went rafting on the James River at 12 feet high water, awesome experience. Had a friend from Toronto visiting Richmond, and he was thrilled to see the adventurous side of our city. Well managed, friendly guides ( High five to Mike )…. overall a tremendous value, so we will be back again!”